1940 TENNIS TEAM WAS SPRING'S WINNINGEST

Only Undefeated Aggregation, Crews, Varsity Lacrosse Probably Place Next on Record

The most successful spring team? Freshman tennis seems to have the edge in any discussion of the relative merits of Harvard teams this season with the Varsity and Junior Varsity crews pressing it closely for honors.

At any rate the Freshman tennis team is the only outfit in Harvard to go undefeated all season long and is one of the seven spring teams that beat Yale while seven were defeated by the Blue. Its schedule on the other hand was fairly easy while no one can say that the crews had anything but a tough assignment in winning their four regattas while dropping only one.

Conceding a practical tie to these three teams, it is easy to see that they are not pressed by any other sports groups. The baseball team to date has a 12-12 showing of wins and losses and with one tie as a balancing point. The Freshmen did a little better but dropped nine games against the 15 they won.

The Varsity lacrosse team is probably the fourth most successful outfit with a record of eight wins and two losses, but one of their defeats was in the all-important Yale game which deserves a double rating in any account of Harvard teams.

Varsity tennis too had a moderately successful season having a win streak of four games at one point but ended the year with six wins and three losses, one of them against Yale. To the track team goes the dubious honor of having probably the worst season. Riddled by gradu-games, lost in the I. C. A. A. A. A. gamesation, it was fifth in the Heptagonal at New York, lost the dual meet to Yale by a slight margin, was barely successful in whipping Dartmouth for its only victory. The Freshman on the other hand won all three dual meets, soundly whipped Yale.

Total record shows 79 wins, 49 losses, and two tied this spring.