Geologists Come Out from Recesses of Museum To Collect Fresh Supply of Rocks and Records

Scientists Scatter Over Wide Area to Explore, Sample, and Map Earth Structures

Vacation time to many of those connected with the Museum on Divinity Street means practical research work in the field. This summer undergraduates, Graduate students, geology section men, and professors are returning to old haunts to map, scratch, dig, and theorize in pursuit of science.

The department of Geological Sciences will have the most representatives in he field with at least 14 individuals scattered from Maine to Peru. Chief among those is Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, who may be found in Maine during part of the summer mouths.

Billings Will Supervise

Marland P. Billings, assistant professor of Geology, is supervising the work of various Harvard field workers. His tour of supervision will take him to New Hampshire, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada. Kirk Bryan, associate professor of Physiography, will also be doing supervising work in Minnesota and New Mexico.

Joseph E. Upson, Geology 1 section man, has returned to Colorado for the second year to map the San Juan district and investigation geologic structures of that area. Likewise in Colorado this summer is L. L. Ray, a graduate student who is working at the Lindonmeyer site. Another graduate student, W. T. Pecora, is working in the Bearpaw Mountains of Montana.

For five weeks, from June 28 to August 1, the Harvard Geology Summer School will be encamped near Colorado Springs, Colorado, to study the Front Range of he Rocky Mountains. Lincoln R. Thiesmeyer, instructor in Geology, will be in charge of the camp, and Geology 85 will be given as a regular course.

Bennett F. Bute, assistant in Geology, is already doing geology work in Persia, having left for Asia May 8. His position with the American OH Company takes him into the interior plateau of Persia, a region practically unknown geographically.

Another Geology 1 section man, Charles S. Denny, is carrying on research for his degree in New Mexico and Colorado, Carleton A. Chapman, instructor in Petrography, is working in New Hampshire. And Richard P. Goldwait, assistant in Geology, will also be in New Hampshire, Goldwait is studying glaciology, and his work will center around glaciar-carved Mt. Washington.

Two assistants in Geology, Otto O. Schmedeman, and Frederick M. Chace are second only to Bute in remoteness from Cambridge. Their summer address will be Cerro de Pasco. Peru where they are carrying on work in economic geology.