COMMITTEE CENSURES YALE FOR DAVIS CASE

National Education Society Finds No Valid Reason for Dismissal and Hits Lack of Cooperation

Recommendation that Professor Jerome Davis of the Yale Divinity School, recently dismissed, be restored to his position was made in a report made public yesterday by the Tenure Committee of the National Education Society.

Davis, who is an outstanding liberal, has been on the faculty of the School for twelve years. In 1924 he was appointed to the chair of practical philanthropy with the rank of assistant professor, rising in 1927 to the position of associate professor. February of this year the Yale Corporation voted to terminate his connection with the university after a one-year reappointment.

The Committee has been making an investigation since November which, according to the report, "has received no cooperation from either the president of Yale or the Dean of the Divinity School."

Dismissed Unexplained

Finding that the reasons given for the dismissal contained in newspaper reports, "contrary to the weight of evidence and hence not valid reasons for the dismissal of Professor Davis," the committee urged his reinstatement.

The committee further recommended that in the dismissal of any faculty member who has served satisfactorily during a reasonable probationary period, he be given definite and detailed statement of the causes, and the right to a public hearing "on the stated causes for his dismissal."