UNIVERSITY HEALTH PLANT

The health aspects of the University are cared for by the Hygiene Department. All men registered in the University are required to pay an annual medical and infirmary fee of $20.00, payable in two installments. The only exceptions to this requirement apply to students in the Dental School, and to certain men doing less than half-time work and who live at home.

In return for this fee, students are given advice and attention by the Medical Staff, during office hours, in the Hygiene Building or elsewhere on University grounds. Medical stations are also maintained at the School of Business Administration, the Law School, the Medical School, and at Dillon Field House. The Medical and Infirmary fee covers two weeks of ward care during the academic year in Stillman Infirmary or similar service in any one of the Boston hospitals associated with the Harvard Medical School.

The Infirmary has a capacity of 65 beds and stands on Mt. Auburn Street about half a mile from the Yard. As a rule the Infirmary cares only for cases of relatively minor illness. All cases of major illness or those requiring major surgery are referred to Boston hospitals. For the convenience of students, a Dental Health Service and an eye clinic are available in the Hygiene Building.

Very moderate charges are made for professional work done in these special clinics. All consulting physicians, surgeons, and specialists are members of the Harvard Medical Faculty or staff members of the hospitals affiliated with the Medical School.

The Hygiene Department conducts sanitary inspections throughout the University. The standards maintained are well within the requirements of the American Public Health Association.