Conant, Sperry, Neilson in Role of Hosts As Class of 1941 Gets Official Welcome

Neilson, Sperry Offer Advice as Yardlings Open Careers at College

"Members of the Class of 1941" ... thus last evening from a platform in the main Union dining hall under the bronze bust of John Harvard began President James B. Conant's welcome to entering Freshmen. While 1000 new faces and a candid camera were turned up to the head of the University the purpose of the occasion was briefly outlined and the first speaker of the evening introduced--Willard Learoyd Sperry, Dean of the Divinity School.

Previously, a buffet lunch was served to the 302nd crop of Harvard students and a sprinkling of gentlemen of unidentified classes. After withstanding and returning the individual curiosity of one another and the Union waitresses the guests retired to the floor of the main dining hall which grew ever harder as the reception progressed.

Sperry Speaks

Dean Sperry, sporting the familiar crimson the emblazoned against a white shirt, rose to address the gathering with a few remarks. Whereas President Conant did not attempt to define a "liberal education," Dean Sperry borrowed from William James what he thinks should be derived from a college education, "The object of a college education is to enable you to recognize a real man when you see one."

The professor of Homilectics commented upon the fact that all Freshman classes are not the same, but noticeably differ from each other. Not only does one class differ from another in individual characteristics and tendencies, he stated, but each shows the influence of the contemporary world upon it. The Class of 1941 differs in part from the Class of 1940 because the world to a degree is different this year in mood and outlook from last year.

President Conant with a few introductory remarks next presented the principal speaker of the evening, William A. Neilson, president of Smith College. Displaying a wit which matched his wisdom, President Neilson offered advice to the Freshmen with which to start their college career. At the beginning of his talk, Neilson remarked that some day President Conant will realize that what is said to the Freshmen on their first night at college doesn't matter in the least for they will promptly forget it.

A graduate of the University of Edinburgh and Harvard, Neilson was for many years in the English department of Harvard's faculty, leaving that position to become president of Smith College. "Heretofore, you have been devoting yourself to the great art of 'getting by' "he said. Now it is time for the student to abandon one way of thinking as he enters college and taking another. He declared that one must attempt to master a subject rather than just think of getting safely through tomorrow's recitation.

President Neilson expressed the belief that marks and grades are an evil, but apparently a necessary evil as the outside world demands some certificate of the student's knowledge and ability. He also emphasized the necessity of carefully planning efforts and time if the student wishes to be successful. More opportunities will be offered than can be taken advantage of, and one must therefore attempt to select the right ones to pursue.

In closing the speaker warned the Freshmen against taking advice from the Sophomore, ever ready to offer it. "The Sophomore is generally in a more dangerous condition than you, because you know you don't know," he added.

The reception closed at nine o'clock with the entire body rising and singing Fair Harvard