STUDENT COUNCIL DUES TOTAL $2700 FIRST DAY

COUNCIL WORK OF GREAT NEED TO UNIVERSITY

With cash collections totalling approximately $1700, and pledges of about $1000 received from 100 Freshmen yesterday in Memorial Hall, the Student Council drive for funds was still a good distance behind last year at this time.

The total amount needed by the Council has been placed at $7800, in order to fill the various quotas already established. Of that total, $1500 is allotted to charities, and $3000 goes to Phillips Brooks House for the support of that organization, and in this way the necessity of another drive for funds by Brooks House is eliminated.

Set aside for the various class activities and funds, such as the Freshman Red Book, Freshman and Senior elections, etc., is $1000, while the expenses of the Council itself for the year consume but $300. The final item is $2000 which is used for the aid of undergraduates in the form of scholarships.

The work of the Council, it is explained, is so important and necessary, both in carrying on its work and in relieving the student of paying to various charities all year, that it is hoped that all who have not already done so will contribute, either at the Council's desk in Memorial Hall today or by mail.