AN OPEN LETTER TO THE HARVARD STUDENT COUNCIL

THE MAIL

The CRIMSON does not take responsibility for any opinions or charges expressed in published letters. All opinions belong only to the authors of letters. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, a at the request of the writer, will names be withheld. Only letters under 100 words can be printed because of space limitations.

To the CRIMSON:

Since the faculty, students, and employees of Harvard College donated $2,700 last spring for an ambulance for a neutral medical unit, we, the undersigned, having conducted a brief investigation, feel that the contributors to the fund should know for what purpose their money was spent.

John L. Davidson '38, in a letter to the CRIMSON replying to charges that contributions were being mishandled, announced his membership on the ambulance committee, and that he was a "conservative" and a "republican in good standing." He went on to say that the ambulance was to be turned over to an American Medical Unit, staffed by American doctors and nurses. Finally he hopes that "all questions concerning the ulterior motives of this 'radical' committee are cleared up."

Dr. Walter B. Cannon put himself on record on this matter by referring to: "The quick insight of the faculty and of the student members into the dire need of the wounded men who have fought for the legitimate government of Spain."

In June 1, 1937, Tucker Dean '37, announced that the ambulance was to be sent to Spain that week.

Was it? Was it sent that month? Next month? Let is suffice to say that it was in the United States on August 7. And why? Because we are informed it was used in a communistic mass demonstration in New York City in honor of the communistic nominee for mayor and of a visiting candidate endorsed by the same party for governor of Minnesota. (The "Herald Tribune," August 8, 1937 contains the entire details on page 2, columns 4 and 5.)

Was the underlying motive revealed when funds were being solicited by Dr. Connon and his aids? Again no. The money was collected to aid the wounded in Spain. It was used to help Moscow in Harlem. If "Spanish Democracy" is aided in such a way, they in 1917 men of the same political philosophy saved Russian Democracy and have preserved it ever since.

We do therefor charge the ambulance committee with the collection of money under false pretenses, and respectfully request a prompt and complete probe by the student council or a committee thereof which should render an official report. Merwin K. Hart, jr. '40, Sidney Q. Curtiss '40.