Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

U.S. Scientists Adopt Conant Plan to Investigate Social Effects of Science

Mineralogical Society Awards Palache Roebling Medal At Convention

Acting on a policy first voiced by President Conant at the Tercentenary Celebration in 1936, the American Association for the Advancement of Science last week urged scientists of the world to unite in an examination of the effects of science on society. At a gathering at Indianapolis, Indiana, the plan was advanced with the aim of promoting world peace and intellectual freedom.

George D. Birkhoff '05, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and president of the Association, and George Lyman Kittredge '82. Gurney Professor of English Literature, emeritus, addressed the assembled scientists.

Palache Receives Medal

In Washington, at the annual meeting of the Mineralogical Society of America, honors came to Charles Palache, professor of Geology and retiring president of the society, who was awarded the Roebling medal for "meritiorious achievement in mineralogy and allied sciences."

At Cambridge, E. Leon Chaffee, Gordon McKay Professor of Physics and Communication Engineering, announced the solution of the hitherto baffling mathematical problems presented by power vacuum tubes. The discovery climaxed ten years of research.

Morison Honored

For his book, "History of Harvard College," Samuel E. Morison '08, professor of History, was awarded the Jean Jules Jusserand medal at the fifty-second meeting of the American Historical Association in Philadelphia last week.

William Y. Elliott, professor of Government and Gaetano Salvemini, Lauro de Bosis Lecturer on the History of Italian Civilization, addressed the delegates.

Powell Urges Court Restriction

Before the national convention of the American Political Science Association in Philadelphia last week. Thomas R. Powell, Langdell Professor of Law, predicted some curtailment of the Supreme Court's role in constitutional interpretation in the near future.