CLASS DAY COMMITTEE

After the Baccalaureate and the Junior Ushers as the next feature of Commencement in line of fire comes the Senior Class Day Committee. Either the Class Day Committee should have something to do or it should not have something to do. At present it has little to do and does it poorly.

Most of the purely undergraduate arrangements for graduating remain the same from year to year. Most of them are handled most economically when handled in conjunction with other functions occurring almost simultaneously. Most of them are carried out most efficiently with the aid of the University business office. About all the Committee actually bothers itself with is the question of whether to hire a sweet or swing band for the Class Spread.

But it is wrong for the Class Day Committee thus to allow itself little concern. Seniors are and should be greatly interested in making their graduation a bigger and better thing. An intelligent committee can always improve the occasion.

With this in mind it becomes evident that the present system of electing the Class Day Committee of seven should come up for revision. At present men are nominated without regard to their business qualifications so that the election amounts to a popularity contest among defeated candidates for marshal or men whom the nominating committee forgot to put up for marshal.

Of the seven elected, not all have the interest and ability to want to make something out of their job. The committee would be much more interested and effective if its members were elected from nominees chosen for the business ability which they had shown in some other phase of undergraduate life. Strict qualifications should be laid down or else the committee should be a smaller one and appointed by the marshals.