FOOD WORKERS REJECT UNIVERSITY CONTRACT

WILL WEAR UNION BUTTONS FIRST TIME MONDAY

Unanimous refusal to accept any University proposal which did not contain a closed shop clause was voted by well over a hundred A. F. of L. members in dining hall service here last night in Cypress Hall.

An agreement submitted by bargaining officials of the College specifying wages and working conditions for cooks and waitresses was completely rejected on the grounds that it did not live up to demands which have been pressed by labor representatives during the last four weeks.

Closed Shop Only Issue

Union organizers voiced assurance, however, that in spite of inadequate wage compensation a contract would be willingly signed by Locals 186 and 112 if the American Federation of Labor were given exclusive bargaining rights for all employed in Harvard dining halls.

At the same time 100 percent support was given to a motion demanding that all cooks and waitresses wear their union buttons next Monday in a mass demonstration of their strength and overwhelming majority. Joseph Stefani, union leader, claimed that the University had continued to grant concessions, pointing out the straight watch now conceded cooks and the hiring of new help.

Maintenance Union Pressed

Full cooperation of present members with the new drive being launched by the Building Service Union to unionize maintenance workers was asked by Robert H. Everitt. He said that concentration had been chiefly on the maids so far and that "dandy cooperation" had been advanced by several members of the Faculty.

Discovery that a variation in pay for janitors between $21 and $28 existed which seemed to be based on preference rather than seniority has instigated bargaining in new fields, it was revealed.

Leaders felt that maids as part time workers were entitled to more per hour than a steady worker of 40 hours a week. No maid works more than 26 hours, said Everitt, indicating that a weekly check for $8.88 was not an adequate living allowance. University pension and insurance plans are under discussion with Financial Vice-President Lowes. He stated that no conclusions had been reached.