Bruins Pin Hopes on Aggressiveness And Experience of Veteran Backfield

Atwell, Hall, McLaughry, and O'Leary Form Backbone Of Visitors Today

When the referee puts the whistle to his mouth this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock to open the 1938 season for both contestants, the Brown hopes will rise at the chance of beating the Crimson for the first time since 1932.

Only once has a backfield as powerful as today's played for a Bruin team. That was on the "Iron-Man" team of 1926. The four starting backs will be McLaughry at quarter, Captain Atwell at left half, O'Leary right half and Hall at full. "Shine" Ball is a triple threat man, dangerous at all times. Last year the Harvard fans did not see much of this back as he suffered a spinal injury the first play of the game. John O'Leary was out last year with injuries. He has earned the nod from Coach "Tuss" McLaughry because he is a fast shifty runner who has tremendous drive and hard to tackle. Richard Harlow has already signified his respect for John McLaughry, the great defensive, quarter-back of the '38 eleven. But his sterling qualities extend beyond the ability to protect Bear territory, McLaughry specializes in line bucking. Captain Atwell is the spark-plug of the team. He has been a potent factor at instilling fight into his team-mates. The impetus of the Brown aerials will come from his right arm.

Line coach Denny Meyer boasts of a fast 186 pound forward wall, heavier than the Bear's opponents. Much interest has been shown in George Larkowich a newly converted left tackle. He is a 6 foot 3 inch, 197 pound aggressive ball player, capable of breaking-up many of the Harvard off-tackle spinners. To the right of him is Spencer Manrodt, a short, stocky guard who thrives when the going is tough. Protecting the end is Prodgers, a pass receiver par excellence. At center is Tom Carey. Carey was seen last year in the Harvard Stadium as a back. This was only temporary due to the injuries of other backs. The right side of the line is composed of Finklestein, end; McNeil, tackle; and Mawhinney at guard. All three men have Varsity letters, but more important, a wealth of experience.

Brown pins her hopes of victory on the experience of a veteran team. The starting line-up will be composed of four seniors and seven juniors. All men have previously played in the Harvard Stadium, thus eliminating the chance of jitters which ruin so many potentially good clubs. In addition to that, the few reserves that there are have shown themselves to be capable men. In an address to the Boston Alumni, Coach McLaughry estimated a toss-up game. He said that Brown will flash a new brand of football this year because of the stellar backs that he has to work on. If Brown wins to day, the general consensus of opinion will not be that of an upset