VARSITY EIGHTS WORK ON FORM DURING FALL

Tom Bolles, Making Up No First Boat, Finds Material for Starboard Side Weak This Year

"There isn't a first boat actually," Coach Tom Bolles said yesterday, describing the opening of the 1938 fall crew season. "During this time the main emphasis will be placed on individual technique."

With seven Varsity boats taking to the water daily, Bolles assisted by Freshman mentor Harvey Love and Fifties coach Bert Haines has begun an earnest campaign to build up material for the spring races.

Only four lettermen return this year: Captain Dud Talbot, Walt Kernan, Bob Stevens, and Vince Richards. One of the key positions left vacant is the stroke position held down by Spike Chace last year. Bill Rowe, pacesetter for the 1938 Jayvees is a likely candidate for the job.

Right now, Bolles feels that "the crew looks better on the port side than on the starboard," and is trying out Kernan, Gray, Moffat, and Fowler on starboard oars in an effort to find a satisfactory combination. But the coach stresses that the present lineups are only temporary.

Bert Haines is optimistic about the prospects of the Varsity and Freshman 150-lb crews. Along with the 1938 lightweight Henley eight which returns this year almost intact there is a powerful Freshman aggregation, promising to give the Varsity a good battle.