NOT IN TRIUMPH, BUT FLASHING

This week will be a hard one for the 1938 Varsity football team. Both Mondays so far have been bluish, but today will be even more so. Beaten by a Brown team which took them by surprise, battered and bruised after a magnificent stand against the three-deep powerhouse of Cornell, Captain Green and his men saw the powers of fortune let them down in their third attempt Saturday.

Never has a squad more deserved to win. They have met three teams, all of which were faster and bigger and more replete with replacements. Yet in all three encounters Harvard has out-hit, out-driven, and just plain out-spirited the opponents. In all of these games no one has left the field doubting for a moment which team was the better coached. Coach Harlow is the finest type of Harvard man, and Harvard has adopted him for her own. Those on his team look up to "Dick" so much that when they lose, they feel that they have let him down; this fact makes the loss to Army even harder to bear. For Harlow's men to see a wholly-earned victory wrenched from their grasp Saturday was the acme of injustice.

And now, with one of their key men out, with many other regulars tired and numbed with disillusionment, the team must prepare to work for the hardest task any team in the country could wish for, that of facing Dartmouth, terror or of the east.

But there is more to a great sport than just score and the won-and-lost column. The vast majority of Harvard students are not discouraged with their team, they are proud of it. If Coach Harlow and every member of his squad realize this, perhaps their work this week will be just a little easier.