TWO OBLIGATIONS

Admission by the University that union wages have almost done away with the annual surplus reaped each year by the Dining Halls brings to the fore again one of the most persistent problems in the administration of College finances. In this case the Temporary Student Employment Plan, which for seven years has been the chief beneficiary of the Dining Hall profits, is directly hit by the probable insolvency of the kitchen department. Again the question is raised whether or not salaries which meet union standards materially detract from the University's ability to give needy students a chance to work for their board. Obviously the College can neither forget its duty as a conscientious employer nor ignore the possibility of seeking other sources from which to draw undergraduate aid funds.

Employing as it does some 2200 workers, more than 400 of whom are engaged in the preparation of food in the Union, House, and Business School halls, the University has necessarily assumed the task of supporting hundreds of families who are dependent upon it for their sole incomes. If the College ventures to undertake this responsibility, ards set by a labor union whose tolerant and honorable methods of bargaining justify the plausi-it is only right that it should meet the high standbility of their claims.

University officials on the other hand are convinced that the Employment Plan must go on and admit that they must turn to other departments for subsidization of the scheme. For a cooperative and satisfied working staff, the delving into the resources of other Corporation capital is not too high a price to pay.