WINTER SQUASH

The howls recently set up in the vicinity of Langdell Hall to contest the invasion of six squash courts in the new Hemenway gymnasium by the varsity team, arise from the false notion that the new courts were built expressly for the convenience of the Law School, or if not, that they should have been. The law students do not seem to realize that for years the varsity squash team has been pursuing its way around courts that have varied more than two feet in dimension, and their need for the standard courts at Hemenway outweighs the burden on law students of an occasional five minute walk. Exercise for law students is of the utmost importance, but if six courts were expressly reserved for them at Linden Street, in addition to the six remaining courts at the Hemenway Gym, the varsity invasion would deprive them of nothing, not even their well-beloved jaunts to Linden Street.

Last year the inhabitants of Langdell Hall had a real grievance. Without the twelve extra courts, the terrific pressure on the University courts from the mass of graduates and undergraduates excluded a large number of athletes for whom the extra effort needed to reserve courts was not worth while. But now there are ninety-six more playing periods available, the Varsity will haunt Linden Street no longer, and the lawyers will have six courts in their own back yard.

There is no doubt that the squash team has been playing under a considerable handicap with all their peregrinations from one size court to another, first in practice, then in team matches; regulation size courts are needed to solve their problems. The difficulties of the law students and their exercise will likewise disappear if the authorities are willing to set aside a definite number of courts for them each afternoon, either a few yards or a few hundred yards away.