Harvard Education Is to Be Topic of Study Begun At First Council Meeting

Tutorial, General Exams, Concentration Are Particular Subjects Of Major Investigation--Peabody and Marvin Appointed To Assist in Class of 1942 Affairs

Launching what will probably be its major project of the year, the Student Council last night voted to conduct an investigation of education of Harvard in general, with particular reference to the systems of concentration, tutorial instruction general examinations, and to the fields in which no tutorial or general examinations are required.

At the same time the Council announced the appointment of two committees, one covering Freshman affairs, and the other, scholarships. Douglas Mercer '40 was last spring appointed to head the Freshman Affairs Committee, but his two assistants, Langdon P. Marvin Jr. '41, of Eliot House, and Homer Peabody '41, class president, are new appointments. Council Treasurer Robert M. Bunker '39, of Wintrhop House, will serve as president of the Scholarship Committee, while the others will be Cleveland Amory '39, Morton G. Freed '39, and Phil C. Neal '40.

This year's investigation of education at Harvard in general is expected to rival in importance last year's biggest Council stir, when, in a report issued in May, the Council investigation Committee found that the Social Sciences were being slighted 2-1 in the educational budget. As yet a definite committee for the probject has not been named, but it is understood that the committee will comprise both men on the Council and some from outside.

Red Book Head To Be Named

In charge of Freshman affairs, Mercer, Marvin, and Peabody will go to work on the appointing of a Red Book chairman and committee. The trio will work with Kendric N. Marshall '26, Freshman Union mentor, in the appointment of the Union Committee. Still another phase of the group's work will be the management of Yardling inter-dormitory athletics.

In the scholarship work, Bunker, Amory, Freed, and Neal will have charge of awarding undergraduate stipends throughout the year. The awards, averaging fifty dollars, are granted to apply on a student's term bill.

Council scholarship are only given to those who do not receive any aid from University Hall. They are generally give to deserving students who have not the time to keep the work up to University scholarship requirements.

Roster

Last night's meeting in Phillips Brooks House was the first meeting of the year. President Richard H. Sullivan '39 presided. Others present included treasurer Bunker, secretary J. Spence Harvin '39, Charles L. Burwell '39, Rohbert L. Green '39, James Tobin '39, Theodore L. Hazlett '49, James D. Lightbody '40, and Amery, Mercer, and Neal.