Raisz Shows Largest Map of Liberia, New Mapping Method

Presentation before the National Geographical Congress at Amsterdam of a new physiographic method of showing landscape on maps and the exhibition before the Anthropological, Ethnographical and Archeological Congress at Copenhagen of the largest map of Liberia ever surveyed are a few of the matters which have occupied Erwin Raisz, Instructor in Geographical Exploration, during the past summer.

The Amsterdam Congress was attended by about 900 delegates from all over the world, 50 of them being Americans. Here Raisz, who studied in Budapest, Hungary, demonstrated his new mapping process which he developed in conjunction with Suderland of Stockholm. Its main principle is that the map surface is divided into type regions, each represented by a symbol which is pictorial and therefore easily recognized.

At the Copenhagen Congress Raisz exhibited the Geographical Institute's map of Liberia, which was surveyed by George V. Harley '34. On a scale of four miles to the inch, the map is the largest that has ever been made of this region.