Crimson Harriers Place Eleventh in New York Meet

Brayton, First Cantab, Finishes Twenty-Second as Smith of Penn State Wins

A Penn Sophomore raced home some 200 yards ahead of his nearest rival to win the IC4A cross country meet in New York yesterday. Harvard, who placed eleventh in the team standings, had only one man finishing less than fiftieth as Captain Rosswell Brayton came in twenty-second.

Despite Smith's win, Penn State was only able to gain fifth place in the team standings as Manhattan broke Michigan State's five year monopoly on the championship. Following Manhattan's low of 43 points came Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Alfred, Penn State, Syracuse, Cornell, Maine, Yale, Princeton, and Harvard. Seventeen colleges in all competed with 125 representatives.

Elis, Tigers Ahead

Following an undefeated season in dual meets, the Crimson was expected to finish high in the standings. Although Jaakko Mikkola's men had previously defeated Yale and Princeton runners in a triangular meet, the Tigers and the Elis both placed ahead of Harvard.

More surprising than the Crimson's mediocre showing was the fact that one of the heavy favorites for individual honors, Yale's Captain Ronald Clarke, came in forty-sixth.

Following their captain, Brayton, the Crimson harriers placed as follows: Dave Simboll fifty-third, Charlie Old-father fifty-fifth, Bill Tuttle sixty-first, Dick Wing seventy-fourth, and Gene Clark one hundred and thirteenth.

Harvard with 282 points trailed Princeton by 22 and Yale by 35. Brayton crossed the finish line two minutes after Smith had broken the tape for first prize.

This year's IC4A cross country meet was the 30th annual event of its kind and was run over the stiff five mile course in Van Courtlandt Park.