INTER-HOUSE DEBATING GETS STARTED TODAY

ELIOT TO ARGUE WITH WINTHROP ON MUNICH PACT

House debating, newest and most pretentious branch of Debating Council activity, will be launched tonight at 7:30 o'clock in the Eliot House common room as Eliot argues Winthrop on the Munich Pact. Highlight of this and of all future inter-House debates will be the participation of prominent members of the faculty.

Dr. John H. Gleason '30, Eliot House tutor in the department of History, will lead the Eliot team which defends the recent four-power agreement against the Winthrop speakers, headed by Rupert Emerson, professor of Government.

This marks the first time in debating history that professors have participated, according to Langdon P. Marvin '41 and Allan B. Ecker '41, co-managers of House debating. After delivering formal constructive speeches, the faculty men will be cross-examined by student opponents. They will also be required to stand before questioning from the floor in a forum following the debate.

Other faculty orators scheduled to appear are Joseph A. Schumpeter, George Baker Professor of Economics, representing Dunster, and Lowell's William Yandell Elliott, professor of Government, who will oppose each other on the Munich Pact in the Pioneer-Bellboy fray tomorrow night, in Lowell Common Room at 7:30 o'clock.

Student colleagues of Dr. Gleason on the Eliot affirmative team will be Melvin H. Freedman '41 and Regnar E. Bird '41. The negative team of Winthrop will be filled out by John Donnell '40 and Frank B. Jourdan '41.