HARVARD'S FORGOTTEN HEROES

Soccer does not have the bruising contact or the spectacular tactics which lend an air of dramatic excitement to football. What is more important, it has not received the publicity which attracts the colorful myriads into football stadia. Consequently, the Harvard soccer team has won most of its games before vacant stands and empty sidelines, and its victories have been unaccompanied by streamer headlines on sports pages. Even when it defeated Yale to conclude its most successful season since 1914, to win the New England Intercollegiate League title, and to become Big Three champion, there was comparatively little stir or jubilation on its account.

Hence, the proud feat of Coach Jack Carr's eleven calls for recognition. It is the result of a three hour grind of practice every day of the season. It is the fruit of an acquired skill and precision only appreciated by those who have played the game, never by the spectators. It is the work of much more than an aggregation of the individual stars which it possessed; it is the work of a team, co-operating completely, and molded by fine coaching. Though soccer is nominally a minor sport, such an eleven has truly earned the right to major H's.