Varsity Hoopmen Start Work As Only Two Regulars Return

Heckel, Humes, Legg, Lupien, Lutz Form Nucleus of 1938-39 Fesler Squad

As soon as basketball coach Wes Fesler was released from his football coaching duties, the Varsity hoopmen settled down to work in earnest to prepare for the rigorous practice and league schedule which lies ahead of them.

Fesler, with the aid of Coach Johnny Wood, faces a stiff rebuilding task, because Captain Lupe Lupion and Charley Lutz are the only two returning regulars. In regard to lettermen, he in somewhat more fortunate, for Chet Legg, Bill Humes, and Fred Heckel are ready to fill the other available positions.

In this quintet, Lutz and Legg are at the forwards, Humes holds down the pivot spot, and Lupion and Heckel play the guard positions. This combination is fast, but rather small when compared to other Eastern Intercollegiate League teams.

Last year's Yardling basketball squad contributed at least two promising prospects in the persons of Homer Peabody, a center, and Fran Simpson, a guard; and several of the Jayvees have graduated to the ranks of the Varsity. Sam White, Dick Rabenold, Bill Stewart, and Doug MacLeod are on the present first squad. Another returning Varsity letterman, Dick Sullivan, is one of the reasons for an open fight for one of the forward positions.

Dependable Captain Lupion and Fred Heckel are well established in the guard positions, but Charley Lutz is the only standout forward. Contor Bill Humos will need some relief in the hard games to come, and this must come from either Hemer Peabody or Sam White. At least four men have a chance to get the other forward job, but at present the speedy and accurate shooting Legg holds a slight edge.