Winter Track Needs Many Men To Fill Team's Weaker Posts

Numerous Events Must Be Braced Long Before Mikkolamen Are Prepared

Fifty-five Varsity and first-year track and fieldmen continue indoor workouts every afternoon in the Briggs and Carey Cages as the winter track season gets under way. More candidates are expected out next week in the various events, after the release of many men from the regular fall sports.

Coach Mikkola, when interviewed Wednesday, was much concerned over new men. "No position in near being filled," he said. "Our squad is never cut at any time during the year, and I can't count the number of men who never ran nor entered any field event, who in the first year earned a place on the team and eventually received their letter.

Yardlings Needed

"The Yardling group is very shorthanded this season. Men are really in demand for the pole-vault, hammer, and javelin, and in the hurdles, broad and high-jump. Let me say again that beginners and little-experienced men are more than welcome to come down to make a try at any sport."

Coach Bill Neufeld, adding comments on the Varsity squad, told of the need of tracksters in the somewhat weak events as the hammer-throw, broad-jump, pole-vault and the sprints. Discus and javelin were also mentioned as being able to use several men.

"This year's team," said Neufeld, "is more solid and has more depth than that of last year, but it is not very secure about half the list. Graduation last year took from us many of the best men we have ever worked with in the College. They left not a few difficult positions to be filled on the Varsity."

Full Schedule

The track teams have already a well-filled calendar, the first test before Christmas with Northeastern University, an unofficial meet. After the holidays, another such contest is scheduled with Tufts University during the first week in January. Freshmen and Junior Varsity men are eligible for these two meets.

Other coming games are a Knights of Columbus open meet on January 28. In February are the Millrose Games and the Boston A.A. Competitions in the Boston Garden. At the top of the season are the Quadrangular Meet on February 25 and the Indoor IC4A in New York City.