1937-38 Varsity Takes 13 Places on Official All-American Swimming Team

Kendall Rates Top in 220, 440 Free Style--Hutter Earns Pair of Seconds

By Charles N. Pollak ii

Last year's Crimson Varsity swimmers won 13 places on the National Collegiate Athletic Association's All-American Swimming Team for 1937-38, according to the N. C. A. A. Official Handbook published last week. Eight Harvard swimmers are mentioned as ranking with the country's best.

1938 Captain Charlie Hutter ranks No. 2 in the 50-yard free-style, the same in the 100-yard event, and No. 4 in the 220 free-style, and participated in Harvard's third ranking 400-yard free-style relay team.

Kendall Tops

Australian champion Bill Kendall, no longer in college, but a star last year, earned places as No. 1 man in both the 220 and 440 free-style races, and also swam on the 400 relay team, a record not likely to be surpassed by a Harvard man for many years. Jim Curwen '40 is ranked fifth in the 100 free-style to Michigan's Ed Kirar's first, although he tied the latter in the A. A. U. championships at 52 and two-tenths seconds. Curwen also swam on the relay team.

Frank Coleman '38 earned No. 10 place in the 440 free-style and No. 8 in the 1500-meters free-style, while Dario Berizzi was ranked seventh in the 200-yard breastroke. This year's captain, Rusty Greenhood, is the nation's eighth best diver according to the ratings, although there is a discrepancy here, for Yale's Endweiss is rated No. 7. Greenhood and Endweiss met nine times last year and Greenhood won seven.

Many Receive Honorable Mention

Graham Cummin '38 is placed No. 3 in the 150 backstroke. Both he and Berizzi also were members of the second ranking 300 yard medley team. Harley Stowell, back this year, was the fourth member of the 400 relay team.

Honorable mention was awarded to Don Barker '38 in the 50, Bill Kendall in the 100, while Don McKay '38 was cited for his relay 100's. Kendall's picture is printed on the cover as one of the three best swimmers in the nation. Harvard and Ohio State both received citations for 13 places, with Michigan and Yale trailing.

Regular Practice Being Held

Both Varsity and Freshman squads are having regular practice now, complete with training table at the Varsity Club. The Varsity group is notable for the many 1940 and 1939 men who have come out for the team, because most of last year's world beaters have gone, leaving opportunities galore for the non record-breakers. So far, the 1942 swimmers have shown no remarkable talent; most of the leading prop school tankmen (Mercersburg, for example) still seem to be going to Yale.