Baxter Delivers Second Discourse On U. S. History

Improvement In Relations With England After Civil War Described

Brilliantly describing the course of events leading to Angle-American friendship in the feverish years of imperialism which closed the last century, James P. Baxter, III, President of Williams, gave last night in New Lecture Hall his second of three lectures on diplomatic relations between America and England since the Civil War.

The former professor of History here, in tracing the international bickerings over ports and colonies in the 90's, said that then the possibility of an Angle-American alliance seemed miles away, because both the Irish and free-silverites in America detested England.

Cuban Jingoism

However, Baxter continued, the imperialist movement just beginning was to "bring the two countries together." Aroused by jingo editors, and bursting with nationalism, America was on the outlook for new foreign markets. Cleveland's Venezuela message in 1895 provided the spark for a conflict, but, Baxter said, "the crisis cleared the air." Instead of war England talked of conciliation, and in 1897 the charm of John Hay, ambassador to Great Britain, served to improve relations.

There came the plunge into war with Cuba, Baxter went on, which the British press applauded by praising our humanitarian sentiments, while hoping that our abandonment of isolation would bring alliance. Climax of the progress toward friendship between the nations, Baxter concluded, was Great Britain's concession in 1901, which sanctioned America's building of the Panama Canal and at the same time signified for England a diplomatic break-up with Germany.