Puritans, Deacons Eke Out Slim Wins, Tie for First at House Football Finish

Leverett Holds Winthrop to 8-6 Score As Kirkland Edges Elephants 7-0

Kirkland and Winthrop ended their grid schedule yesterday on Soldiers Field in a tie for first place, when, after some very tense moments, the Deacons downed Eliot 7-0 and the Puritans squeezed out an 8-6 victory over Leverett.

The winning margin for Winthrop came in the first quarter when Hunt Hamill, Leverett Kicker, was tackled behind his own goal line after having retrieved a bad pass from center. The Puritans added to this score in the third quarter when Joe Peden crossed the line on a short end run.

After this touchdown, Leverett took command of the contest. Finally in the fourth quarter, on fourth down, Vint Freedley completed a pass to Red Davis from the Bunny 20, and Davis scooted 65 yards for a touchdown behind Bob Ritter's blocking.

A fighting Eliot team almost upset Kirkland's apple cart, when it forged down to the Deacon two yard line in the final stanza, but was unable to score. A double pass play beginning on the Eliot 40 when Don Brew tested a long one to wing Bill Eyler, was stretched out down to the Kirkland ten on a sweet lateral from Eyler to Johnny Grant.

The Deacons assumed the lead in the first quarter when Earl Foster went over center on a mousetrap play and kept right on going until he hit the end zone. Jack McClure tacked on another point with a placement.

Ed Haff, Eliot end who snatched a pass one-handed Tuesday, almost got away for a score before the half when he caught a long one tossed by Brow, but was nailed by "Ringer" Wiley Mayne on a shoestring tackle.