Chicago Coach Rates Harvard Great Team After 47-13 Rout

"Better Now Than Ohio State or Michigan" Says Shaughnessy In Conference

By Cleveland Amory

"We were better than we have been all year. Harvard has good, yes, probably a better team right now than Michigan or Ohio State. Harvard would be right up there in the Big Ten fight."

So spoke Clark Shaughnessy, Chicago coach, at the press conference following the 47-13 rout of his team Saturday. It was quite something for Shaughnessy to admit his team was better now than previously, for if Harvard had played them any sooner, there is no doubt that the only worth while part of the Windy Citymen's trip would have been their visit to the historic spots of Boston, which they made yesterday.

Coach Dick Harlow appeared well pleased. Asked how he felt when the scoreboard read Chicago 13, Harvard kiss, he said, "Honestly I was a little bewildered, and I think some of the boys were too. But I was awfully glad to see that our boys could face adversity and then come back like that."

Chicago Scrappy

Taking the game as a whole, it is really impossible to tell if or how much Harvard improved over the Princeton clash. Chicago brought a scrappy, courageous team which looked very flashy and tricky for a while, but the eleven was in such poor condition that the latter part of the encounter was distinctly harrowing, and the same early flashiness and trick stuff later on looked very much like a pick-up game of pee-wee.

Practically all of the Crimson touchdowns were set in motion by some sort of Windy City misdemeanor. Harvard first dented the score column, however, without any such add. It was early in the second period, after Austic Harding had relieved Frank Foley at tailback. First Harding just missed confection on a pass to Torb Macdonald; then with Torb on the tossing side, Harding took the business end himself and dove over the line.

Enemy Punting

Then the absence of a Chicago punter began to toil. Faced with a high wind, they got off two truly dismal boots, one of them travelling only nine yards from scrimmage. After a good runback by Macdonald, Cohen bucked a couple of times, and then Foley ran through to the six-inch line and went over on the next play.

The 14-13 tally at the end of the half was changed into a rout in the third period. Facing the wind also this period, the Windy City boys ill lived up to their name and failed to toe the pigskin against the autumn wafts. Harding scored shortly after Cliff Wilson had knifed through and put the kicker out of his misery by partially blocking the boot.

Four More Scores

After Cohen had intercepted a pass, the stage was set for the fourth touchdown, a 16-yard gallop by "Flash" Macdonald. In the fourth canto Macdonald scored again, this time from the 7-yard line. This fifth score was set up by Chicago having a pass hit a lineman, hence awarding the ball to Harvard. A few moments later big tackle Tom Healey intercepted a floater, then Hamity intercepted a Foley serial, but Joe Gardella, now in for Cohen, intercepted one himself and ran almost to the pay zone, where he journeyed on the ensuing play. The final touchdown was a Foley to Bob-Burnett pass, again set up by an interception, this time by end Win Jameson, in for Don Daughters.

* * * *

Yale coach Ducky Pond sent his two ace backs Bud Humphrey and Al Wilson, both slightly wounded, to view the clash and get a glance on what they will see more closely in two weeks. They were impressed.

* * * *

As expected, Captain Hamity, halfback Sol Sherman, and Wasem were the enemy standouts. Speedster John Davenport was a disappointment. This group tried every sort of "sleeper" play; once there were two "sleepers" on each side and another lying down way over on the sidelines. In other words, there were only six men who were not "sleepers." The Chicagoans even tried this trick stuff in their own end zone, where they spent much of the afternoon.

* * * *

Statistics show 16 first downs for 307 yards for Harvard, 6 for 61 for Chicago. The enemy completed 8 of 21 aerials but had 7 intercepted.

* * * *

When the band led off with "Eliot" in its spelling of the Houses, everyone thought of politics, and this influenced the reaction. A few die-hards even expected Saltonstall after "Leverett.