Winthrop, Kirkland in Playoff Today

Puritans Are Underdogs In Clash On Soldiers Field This Afternoon At 3:15

A slightly favored Kirkland eleven takes the field against Winthrop this afternoon at 3:15 o'clock, at Soldiers Field, in a playoff battle to determine the 1938 House grid champion. The winners will play the Yale House champions this Friday on Soldiers Field.

Both outfits have finished their regular schedules with a record of five victories, one tie, and one defeat. On paper there is little difference in strength between the teams. However, the Winthrop chances for a victory have been lessened by the loss of two star Puritan backs, Johnny Butler and Rich Weller, injured in the last Kirkland contest.

Because of this, the burden of the Winthrop running attack will fall on Joe Peden, who has improved greatly at the tallback post during the last three games. Al Blanchard, a sprinter, will replace Weller.

Kirkland's backfield of Earl Foster, Roy Moore, Jack McClure, and Al Silverberg is the Deacon strong point. No serious injuries will hamper the Deacons, but whether their feet backs can penetrate a strong Winthrop forward wall is the question which may determine the outcome of the game.