JAMES, SOPH TAILBACK, INJURED IN SCRIMMAGE

Sustains First Practice Bumping of Yearl; Smith, Cohen, Gardella Fight For Yale Fullback Post

By Cleveland Amory

Dubious honor of sustaining the first scrimmage injury of the football year went yesterday to Bob Jemes, third string Sophomore tailback who hit the limelight by his forward passing in the Army game. James, who ranks under Frank Foley and Austie Harding, suffered a severe bumping as "B" team scrimmaged a combination of "C" and the J. V. 's and was taken to the Infirmary.

Although most of the players in the Chicago rout were given an easy day, bucking backs Ben Smith, Mike Cohen, and Joe Gardella put in a busy afternoon in the active scrimmaging. Harlow has only a little over a week in which to decide the starting fullback for Yale.

The Virginians

Now for Virginia, The H.A.A. expects a better drive for ducats than was the cast in the Chicago fray and will continue their policy of the $.55 childern seats in the wooden stands. These went well last Saturday, albeit the fact that anyone who sat in the Bowl end of the Stadium felt rather self-conscious.

In their second year under the coaching of Frank Murray, former graduate student here, the Cavaliers will present an offense which is modeled closely on that of Harlow.

Evidently, however, the Southerners have not yet acquired full knowledge of the spinning, since they were able to cover exactly 34 inches of ground by rushing in the first half of their 39-0 Columbia defeat.

Brightest spot in the Cavalier season, which also includes a 33-0 drubbing by Navy, was their 34-0 win over William and Mary. Their star is triple threat Jim Gillete, 182 pound halfback. Jim is very much o.K. with his toe, as his ten punts averaging 51 yards in the Columbia game evinces.