Puritans Tie Deacons O-O in House Playofr

Kirkland Tackles Yale Champs Friday But Both Elevens Deadlock for Title

The post-season shimmies attacked the Winthrop and Kirkland grid teams a few days early this year when the Puritans and Deacons set a new all-time record of twelve fumbles in a playoff for the House title yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field which ended in a O-O tic. Although both outfits still remain deadlocked for the championship, each having won five, lost one, and tied two, Kirkland was awarded the right of meeting the Yale champions on the basis of first downs scored. The Deacons counted six to Winthrop's four, although outgained 118 yards to 100.

The Puritans, attired in white jerseys, received to start the game. For the first four minutes neither team was able to gain. After two poor kicks, it looked as if Winthrop were going to be forced onto the defensive, but an interception by Joe Peden brought the Puritans up nearly to midfield.

First Muff

The first of a long series of bobbles came when McClure muffed a wickedly rolling punt, but recovered on his own 23. On the third play, Kirkland fumbled again, but recovered. McClure kicked, and the Winthrop safety man, Ed Hindle, let it get past him.

Winthrop finally kicked, and the Deacons began filling the air with footballs, attempting to score before the half. Roy Moore snatched a 30-yard heave from McClure, but then came another ghastly sequence of dropped passes. Jack Carpenter, Puritan half, intercepted a third down toss.

Thompson Intercepts

Both teams began catching each other's aerials, although unable to cling to those thrown by their own passer. Left tackle Ollie Thompson intercepted for Kirkland. Winthrop immediately retaliated, but the half ended with the ball in the Deacons' possession.

Throughout the first half, the Winthrop backfield, hindered by the loss of Rich Weller and Johnny Butler, was ineffective, with the whole Deacon line, notably Dave Grey, Norm Polansky, and Jerry Hall breaking in. The Kirkland backs were equally helpless against the Winthrop forward wall.

Winthrop received a break in the third period when a Deacon center went heavenwards, scaling over McClure's head for the goal. Winthrop recovered on the 20, but could not dent the Deacon line. Pete Wentworth, Kirkland left and, broke up the interferers, while Thompson drove in to grab the runner on the final running play.

Binnian Stars in Line

Later, two Winthrop fumbles twice put the Deacons in scoring position, but nothing happened. Left guard Sam Binnian, the best linesman on the field, tore through time and again to nail Moore and Foster in their tracks. Likewise, Jack McClure's end runs to the left were efficiently stopped by end Ham Daughaday, who rode the Deacon interferes right into the runner.

In a few minutes, another ground ball from center skidded past McClure. Jack was getting used to it by this time, and recovered. A beautiful goal-line boot by McClure was taken by Hindle and run back to the 20. After Hindle snared an eight-yard pass, Kirkland took the ball on a punt.

Carpenter Commits Larceny

Here, in the final quarter, the Kirkland running attack came to life, when Roy Moore shifted to the tailback post and eloped through Winthrop for two first downs. Another fumble gave Winthrop the ball, and the Puritans, with Joo Peden and Phil Starr heaving, completed four passes, each 20 yards, to bring the Puritans to the Kirkland five yard line.

Garpenter embezzled a pass right out of the hands of a Kirkland defender for one completion, while Daughaday caught another. The game ended after the Deacons had ended the Puritans' the Deacons had ended the Puritans' threaty by an interception.

Guard, End Play Good

Mention must be made of the superb line-backing of Winthrop's Joe Peden, whose jarring knee-high tackles were a strong point in the Puritan defense throughout the game.

Likwise the guard play of both teams was the best seen this year. Dave Grey piled up play after play over his position in the Deacon wall, but the fighting game turned in by Winthrop's Sam Binnian ranks as the best piece of individual line play seen this season on House fields. He was ably supported by mate Dick Eustis.