POLICE HAUL OFF TEN CARS IN SUDDEN RAID

BLOCK PATH OF FIRE ENGINES, SAYS CHIEF

Quincy St. was the scene of a police raid around noon yesterday when a squad of Cambridge bluecoats appeared and hauled off to the police station ten automobiles which were violating parking ordinances.

The minions of the law with their four red towing trucks were the center of an inquisitive crowd which gathered in front of Fogg Museum to watch the operations. Nine of the cars were parked on the wrong side of the street and one was parked next to a fire hydrant in front of President Conant's house.

Cars Hinder Fire Engines

Chief of Police Timothy Leahy ordered the raid after repeated warnings to car owners not to leave their cars on the east side of the street had failed. When cars are parked on both sides of the street the fire engines, which use Quincy as one of their chief thoroughfares, are prevented from going through, police officials said.

By 6 o'clock yesterday five of the cars had been reclaimed by their owners. The remaining five were out-of-state cars on which the Cambridge police have no ownership records. The cars can be secured by applying to the Police Station at Central Square and paying the towing fee.

Police Rewarn Students

Police reissued the warning to all students not to allow local boys to drive their cars to garages for them. The boys usually disconnect the speedometers and go joy-riding, police officials said. One such boy was picked up early this week for getting involved in a free-for-all with a "borrowed" car.

By 7 o'clock yesterday five cars were parked on the wrong side of Quincy St. between Fogg Museum and the Union.