Advocate Prints Symposium on Works Of T.S. Eliot, Poet and Former Editor

Fiftieth Birthday of Noted Writer Is Celebrated by Issue Printing Early Poems and Articles

Commemorating the 50-year Jubilee of one of its most distinguished former editors, the Advocate is publishing a "T.S. Eliot" number for its December issue. The magazine will go on sale today and tomorrow.

Thomas Stearns Eliot '10, who has since become widely known as an author for his play "Murder in the Cathedral" and such poems as "The Waste Land", "Ash Wednesday", and "Gerontion", was an editor of the Advocate while in College.

Eight early poems of Eliot's are being reprinted together with a number of special articles and a symposium of critical appreciation. The poems, which appeared in the Advocate while Eliot was an undergraduate, were written in the period from 1907-1910, and are accompanied by a commentary on his early work by Lawrence B. Leighton, Instructor in Greek and Latin.

Among the articles are two on Eliot's method in the drama by Francis O. Matthiessen, associate professor of History and Literature, and Theodore Spencer, assistant professor of English. Spencer writes on "Murder in the Cathedral" and Matthiessen's contribution is a "Note for an Unwritten Chapter" (of his "Achievement of T.S. Eliot").

Six hundred copies have been ordered by the class of 1910 and over 150 advance orders have been received from all over America and England.

Contributing to the Symposium are: Conrad Aiken '11 (who was an editor of the Advocate at the same time as Eliot); Howard Baker, poet and Instructor in English; Richard Eberhart, poet and teacher of English at St. Mark's School, South borough; Robert T.S. Lowe '11; Archibald MacLeish, Curator of the Nieman Collection; Merrill Moore, sonneteer and Associate in Psychiatry; George Marion O'Donell, Frederick Prokosch, Wallace Stevens, Allen Tate, William Carlos Williams, and Robert Penn Warren, all prominent contemporary writers.

Much of the work of assembling the material for the issue was done by Harry Brown '41, himself a published poet.