ONE HARVARD MAN WINS SEMI-FINAL FOR RHODES TEST

Four Out of Twelve Will Be Picked From New England district for Study At Oxford

Archibald B. Roosevelt, Jr. '40 and vernon W. Lippitt, a Senior at M.I.T., were chosen from a field of fifteen yesterday as representatives of Massachusetts for the final Rhodes scholarship eliminations in Boston tomorrow.

They and two men from each of the five other New England states will undergo the final interviews tomorrow, after which four will be choses to represent the district at Oxford. Seven other districts of six states each throughout the country will also pick four men at the same time to be sent to the English University.

Robert H. Beck '89, of Bridgeport, Connecticut, a member of Wisthrop House, was picked in the Connecticut eliminations.

The field of fifteen from Massachusetts yesterday was narrowed down to five, from which Roosevelt and Lippitt were finally selected. Another Harvard man, Irving M. London '39, was among the five along with two Williams Seniors.

Roosevelt, a grandson of Theodore Roosevelt '80, comes from Cold Spring Harbor, New York, and graduated from Groson. Entering Harvard in the Class of '40, he has majored in the Classics and expects to finish his college course this year, since Rhodes scholars are supposed to have graduated. He is a resident of Eliot House and a member of the Signet Society.

The applicants were examined by the Boston Board under the chairmanship of James Phinney Baxter, President of Williams and former Master of Adams House. All Board members except the chairman are required to be former Rhodes Scholarship holders.

The Secretary, Joseph W. Worthes, a Boston attorney held the scholarship from 1910 to 1913 and the three other members Dr. N. L. Crone of Boston, Professor Cook of Middleburg, and Professor Vandergraf of M.I.T. were at Oxford during the twenties.