Kirkland Leads Straus Trophy Race With 410 Points; Dudley, Lowell Next

Deacons Win Fall Track; Tie For Football, Baseball Lead In Competition

Kirkland House is the leader in the annual race for the Straus Trophy with 410 points after the conclusion of five sports, announced Adolph W. Samborski, Director of Intramural Athletics, last night.

Second to the Deacons are Dudley with 347 1/2 points, and third is Lowell with 340. Kirkland has gained one undisputed first place and two ties for first, while Dudley has one tie and one undisputed first place. Lowell has not yet won a single first place.

Kirkland won the House fall track championship and tied with Winthrop for House football and with Dudley for the indoor baseball championships. Dudley also won the touch football championship.

The House sport season started with football, won by Kirkland and Winthrop. The two teams met on November 7 to decide the championship, but in a game marked by excessive fumbling on both sides, the score at the end of the game was the same as it was at the beginning, 0 to 0.

Eliot's harriers took the cross country title, beating Leverett by one point in the meet on November 17. Jim Lightbody, Eliot star, came in first in the fast time of 10:02 for the course of 1 9-10 miles.

Dudley triumphed in the House touch football league beating out Eliot, Kirkland, and Lowell while in fall track Kirkland came out victorious in the meet on October 27.

In the indoor baseball league which finished last week, Dudley and Kirkland ended up in a a tie for first place nosing out a strong Lowell and an Eliot team which when it was good was unbeatable but which had a few bad days.

In figuring scores for the Straus trophy sports are divided into major and minor sports with a third group including boxing, wrestling, fencing, and the other minor tournament sports. Entering a team in a major sport for a season wins 50 points for the House, and if the team wins 100 extra points are added.

Following the three leaders in the Straus trophy race come Eliot with 280 points; Winthrop with 275 points; Leverett with 242 1/2 points; Dunster with 230 points; and Adams with 225 points.