Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Collections & Critiques

Fourteen exhibition cases at the Widener Library are now devoted to a display of books and manuscripts written for juveniles. From all times and all countries material from representative children's books has been selected. Intended to reveal to us what children have been reading for the last three hundred years, the exhibition is primarily pictorial have been so arranged as to show the relation between the artist's original drawing and the finished print.

There is a large sprinkling of foreign works, principally from Spain, Italy, Germany, France, and Russia. A first edition is shown of "Max und Moritz," which is the ancestor of the modern comic strip and which has its modern counterpart in the "Katzenjammer Kids" and "The Captain and the Kids," Represented by three editions is "Slovenly Peter," the most popular children's book ever written, with over 8,000,000 copies turned out thus far. Original drawings are shown for the "Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear" stories of Uncle Remus, whose real name was A. B. Frost.

From Russia there are a number of manuscripts formerly used by the children of the Tsars. Old and very rare copies are displayed of such well-known works as "The Adventures of Baron Mundhausen," "Pinocchio," and "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." By carefully examining all the cases, one can gain an unusually clear impression of young people's tastes for literature during many centuries.