Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Music Box

MLLE NADIA BOULANGER

Wide-spread interest has been aroused in the musical world by the arrival in America of Mile. Nadia Boulanger, who is lecturing at Radcliffe during the second semester. And whether lecturing or directing the Glee Club and Radcliffe Choal Society, she makes music live with her lucid and sympathetic expositions.

Mlle, Boulanger will be the guest of honor at the Friday and Saturday concerts of the Boston Symphony this week, as she conducts the "Requiem" of Gabriel Faure and plays the organ part in Saint-Saens' C minor Symphony. In the performance of the "Requiem," the Orchestra will be assisted by the Bach Cantata Club and the following soloists: Gisela Peyron, soprano; Hugues Cuenod, tenor; and Doda Conrad, baritone.

Played for the first time this week by the Boston Symphony, the "Requiem" has been conducted abroad by Mlle. Boulanger at the concerts of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London last November, and in the autumn previous. She is peculiarly fitted to interpret this work, since at the Paris Conservatory she was a pupil under Faure. Dr. Koussevitzky will lead the orchestra while Mile, Boulanger plays the organ.

These concerts will hold special interest as the first in which a woman has conducted the Boston Symphony. From what can be ascertained in the Glee Club rehearsals which Mlle. Boulanger has directed, she is not quite so skillful in the actual mechanics of conducting as she is brilliant in her verbal explanations of the effects she desires. Consequently there is a slight feeling of insecurity among the undergraduate singers which would probably not be felt by the members of a professional orchestra.

Tomorrow evening Dr. Koussevitzky will present the sixth concert in the Sanders Theater series. Elly Kassman will appear as soloist in Saint-Saens' Piano Concerto in G minor, the feature work of a program including Haydn's Symphony in E flat, No. 99, and two Ravel works: the Suite "Mother Goose," and the second suite from the ballet "Daphnis and Chloe."