Mermen Swamp Boston 'Y' as Sextet Ties Bengals, 4-4

HICKS IRON MAN

George Roberts' goal at 18:16 of the third period saved the Crimson Hockey team from apparent defeat at the hands of a stubborn Tiger sextet before a small crowd last night at the Boston Garden.

As a ten minute overtime period failed to produce further scoring, the game ended in a 4-1 tie. Thus Harvard and Princeton remained in a fifth place tie in the International Intercollegiate Hockey League.

Big Third Period

An exciting and free-scoring third period just about tells the story of the game. The first two periods produced extremely dull and slow hockey. The Tigers held a 2-1 lead going into the third period. But after Turner had made it 3-1 for the Orange and Black at 4:11 in the final chapter, the whole complexion of the game was completely changed.

Neither team was able to score in the first period. The Stubbsmen were unable to capitalize on two penalties called on Barnacle and Bordley.

Woodhull scored the first goal of the game at 1:53 of the second period on a perfect pass from Fraker who had carried deep into Crimson territory. a moment later Harding miraculously picked up Emerson's long diagonal pass at the Tiger line and backhanded the disk past Coleman after outskating the Princeton points. Princeton again took the lead at 8:42 when Bissell passed from the boards to Burke who golfed the puck under Johnson.

Tigers Lead 3 to 1

Turner caught Johnson completely off guard on a long shot from the blue line early in the third period. It was then that the Stubbsmen finally woke up and combined speed and determination to keep the crowd on the edge of their seats for the rest of the game.

Harvard carried play to the Tigers relentlessly. At 6:04 Roberts picked up Cutter's pass at full speed to coast in and blaze the puck past Coleman. Hicks also received an assist. Hardling was on the scoring end of a combination with Patrick and Hicks at 11:35. Purnell was in the cooler at the time.

At 13:35 Moore scored what seemed an impossible goal to put Princeton back in the lead. He passed from behind the cage and the puck hit some part of Johnson's equipment and slid inside the line. The Stubbsmen seemed to have played themselves out after they tied the game at three all, but in a last minute attempt, George Roberts combined beautifully with Ned Cutter to send the contest into overtime.

Both sextets were pretty well played out when it came to overtime, although the Stubbsmen were a little fresher and got more shots off. Outstanding for Harvard in the third period and overtime was Captain Hicks who played almost every minute and led many onslaughts into Tiger territory, Coloman performed exceptionally well in the Princeton net in the third period.

Lane.

The summary:

HARVARD  PRINCETONHarding, l.w.  r.w., BurkePatrick, c.  c., BissellPope, r.w.  l.w., WoodhukHicks, l.d.  r.d., MillerEmerson, r.d.  l.d., FrakerJohnson, g.  g., Colema