Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Post Graduate Law Student Kills Self in Apartment by Hanging

No Definite Cause Found for his Suicide but Medical Examiner Believes Over-Study

John T. Higgins '334, graduate of the Law School, who was taking a post graduate course there this year, was discovered hanging in his apartment yesterday noon in the Ambassador Apartments on Cambridge Street. He was the son of a former governor of Rhode Island.

Medical Examiner David C. Dow pronounced a verdict of suicide "due to hanging." He said that Higgins had been dead "eight to ten hours" when the maid discovered the body.

As yet no motive for the act has been discovered by the medical examiner or by police, but it was said that he was probably the victim of over study.

He was found hanging by his necktie from the top of a folding bed, which had been pushed into its place against the wall, according to police. He was completely clothed and was wearing a smoking jacket. He had evidently been studying up to the hour of his death since opened law books and papers were still lying on his desk.

Two attendants of the apartment, Stanley Wicsandi and Arthur Goodwin, were called by the maid upon her discovery of the body, and they cut it loose and then notified the police department.

His father, who died in 1927, was a former governor of Rhode Island. he was elected governor of the state in 1907 at the age of 30, the youngest man ever to hold that office in the state. He had been mayor of Pawtucket three years previously.

Higgins is survived by his mother and a brother, James. While in college, he lived in Kirkland House, moving in there the first year than it was built. He was a member or Hasty Pudding.