Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

MALCOLM MACLEAN URGES REFORM IN TEACHING METHODS

Says Teaching Must Fit Varying Needs Of "Scholars, Workers, Gentlemen"; Advocates "Triangle Formula"

Secondary schools must learn to distinguish between prospective "Scholars, workers, and gentlemen" early in the game and educate them accordingly, Malcolm S. MacLean, Director of the General College of the University of Minnesota, declared last night in the School of Education's annual Inglis Lecture in Fogg Art Museum.

Advocates Two Formulae

As a remedy for an educational system which on the one hand pours youth into a mold a strict scholasticism, and on the other hand subjects it to specialized and often useless technical training, MacLean advocated the application of two educational formulae--the "formula of the triangle" and the "formula of dynamic flow."

Cautioning against placing too much emphasis on a student's I. Q. MacLean said that knowledge of the student, knowledge of his social background, and study of teaching methods and environment must form a tripod base for education.

Teaching In 3 Channels

An educational pattern to which the "dynamic flow" formula had been applied would have teaching flowing in three channels: training in skills and techniques; general education; and training for the specialist, either worker or scholar.

Concluding on a note of hope, MacLean said, "For the development of American education to these ends, it seems clear that we are finding and beginning to apply new formulae and then the 'confusion and chaos' out of present conflicts and uncertainties is on the way to perhaps temporary but orderly resolution."