Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Future Opponents For Mermen Show Brilliant Records

Macionis of Yale, Van de Weghe of Princeton Loom as Best of Crimson's Foes

Although the swimming situation at Harvard looks more favorable today than it ever has, foolish indeed would be the prophet who would predict a clean state of victories for the Crimson squad without looking at the records of opponents to come.

Johnny Macionis, of Yale, for example, recently plowed his way through a 4:52 quarter. His teammate, Brueckel, has been doing around 5:08 for the same distance. Macionis also has turned in 2:12.8 against Rutgers, which time both Kendell and Hutter have beaten by one and two second margins respectively. Nevertheless, Macionis remains a serious threat at this distance, as must any man who can swim the furlong under 2:15.

Yale's medley relay team recently broke the college record with a time of 3:02.6. Harvard's best has been 2:57.4, but Princeton has done it in 2:56.2, taking the intercollegiate record away from the Crimson mermen. Columbia has done 3:03.8.

Princeton's Al Van de Weghe has done the 150-yard backstroke in 1:35.7, an intercollegiate record, while the Yale record is Brucckel's 1:38.7. Cummin's Harvard record is 1:37.6, so league competition in this event this year will be particularly strenuous.

The breaststroke isn't quite as strong for Harvard, with Berizzi in the neighborhood of 2:33 for the 200-yard event. Hough, of Princeton, has turned in 2:28, and Yale's Macionis hasn't competed in the butterfly race so far, his team mates swimming the event in indistinguished time.