Hardest Meet So Far Will Be Provided by Boston Club Swimmers

A strong squad of swimmers from the Boston Boys' Club will meet the Yardling splashers here this afternoon at 4:30 o'clock. The Hub team is expected to be a strong threat to the Freshmen's undefeated record.

Although the 1941 team his several outstandingly fast men in its ranks, the Bostonians also sport a few stars among whom are Baldwin, a sprinter, and Cavanaugh, distance man. Baldwin has figured strongly in recent Boys' Club meets, while Cavanaugh has turned in 2:10 for the 200-yard free-style.

Evenly Balanced Squad

The main feature of the Boys' Club squad, however, is its well-balanced strength in all events, including the breast and backstroke. They constitute a serious hazard to the Yardlings' clean slate of victories this season. Freshman Coach Pete Petersen delares that the Bostonians are good enough so that the outcome of the meet is just about unpredictable.

On the other hand, the Yardings will try hard to keep up the unbeaten standard set by the 1940 team last year, and with such speedsters as Kraus, Powers, and Bosworth, they are sure to set a hot pace. Max Kraus is as fine a breaststroker as the Freshman class has ever seen. He holds the Yardling 100-yard record.

Powers, Bosworth Stand Out

Powers has lived up to his name in the free-style events, usually the 100, and seems to be the type of swimmer who will end up equally proficient in all distances free-style. Bosworth, former Exeter star, has a graceful, effortless backstroke second only to Graham, Cummin '38, Varsity flash. "Bozzie": usually is entered in the 50-yard free-style as well, and swims the event substantially under 25 seconds.

Willcox is a butterfiyer who is almost as fast as Kraus, and whose presence assures Crimson teams for the next three years of a powerful supporting delegation of at least one breast-stroker.

Moore and Stowell, free-styiers, have shown great potentialities, all things considered, and the experience these men are now receiving in the 50 and 100 is sure to help mould then into experienced sure-place men such as Barker and McKay on the Varsity.

Divers Work Hard

The dive this year has been much weaker than usual. However, Coach Petersen has developed three spring-board men, who have never dived in competition before, into divers who may be counted on as strong contenders for points. Smith, Bowman, and Davidson, in that order, are the Yardlings; No. 1, 2, and 3 divers. Because of their lack of experience, it is only hard work that will shape these men into reliable point-winners. Petersen has been watching them daily, and has commented favorably upon their willingness to work hard.

Practice Most Important

Diving is an art which usually appears to come naturally in a man, but Petersen has observed that plenty of practice is the most important factor in divers' development.

Shrewsbury, sprinter; White distance man; and Mayersohn, backstroker, fill out the list of men who are generally in the line-up as positive starters. Sharp, breastroker, and Brush, in the distances, will have to work hard this year for starting assignments.