Vernon Struck Named to Help Harlow On Gridiron as Assistant Backfield Coach

Gained Recognition Last Fall On Mythical Teams for Work In Pivot Post

Vernon H. Struck '88 of Centralia, Illinois has been appointed assistant Varsity backfield coach following the approval of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, it was announced last night.

By his appointment Struck becomes the first Harvard man to have a place on the Varsity staff since Dick Harlow took up coaching duties here in 1934. At various times Harlow has expressed the hope of having coaches who have graduated from the University.

Will Instruct Buckers

Undoubtedly Struck will work with the bucking backs with special emphasis on spinning. On the various All-American and All-Eastern teams to which Struck was named, his precise spinning in the key pivot position was always lauded.

After playing on the Freshman team, Struck won Varsity letters three years and as a Senior starred on the 1937 eleven which won the Big Three Championship.

In addition to football, the newly appointed coach played guard on the basketball team for three seasons and is captain of the quintet this year.

Replaces Wood

The new addition to the coaching staff was made to fill the position left vacant by the promotion of Johnny Wood to head backfield mentor replacing Howard O'Dell, who has gone to Pennsylvania University.

At present Struck is uncertain about his future plans, but may attend the Business School or do graduate work for on M.A.

Struck will begin his coaching duties with Spring practice. On March 15, the first drill session will be held at the Cage for Freshman aspirants with upperclassmen reporting the following week, March 22. Some Freshmen have been going through preliminary practice in the Indoor Athletic Building under O'Dell and Skip Stahley.