OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN NEW YORK SLUMS AND COUNTRY GIVEN BY P.B.H.

JOBS IN COTTON BELT, PENN., AND TENN. ALSO OFFERED

As vacation plans are emerging from the bull-session stage into definite arrangements, opportunities for summer jobs are pouring into Phillips Brooks House, it was announced yesterday by Ray Dennett '36, graduate secretary.

Although varying in approach, all these jobs aim to give the student first hand knowledge of our growing social problems. From the College Summer Service Group in New York comes the announcement of a project providing thirty-five hours a week of work in the city's overcrowded, but little publicized districts. "Life in the raw" is what this group offers its workers, an insight into the poverty, ignorance, and superstition which slum areas breed.

After the day's work such questions as "What factors should direct our sympathies in a strike," "Is poverty necessary in society," and "Is the Co-operative Movement truly a 'middle way'" are discussed with a staff including Harry Emerson Fosdick and Norman Thomas.

Members of the group will have the opportunity to know the city better than most native sons. Chinatown, Harlem, Italy, Syria--these are mixed with visits to the Stock Exchange, the Municipal Lodging House, churches, courts, Ellis Island, the Night Markets, radical centers, and labor groups.

Jobs are also available in the 1938 Work Camps conducted by the American Friends Association in the Mississippi cotton belt, in the poverty stricken coal areas of Pennsylvania, or in the Tennessee Valley.