SOPHOMORES DOMINATE RING TOURNEY FINALS

Cochran, Holbrook, Taylor, Polansky, Kelly, Downs, Harder Win in Annual Boxing Tournament

Sophomores dominated the finals of the University boxing tournament in the Indoor Athletic Building last night as they copped four titles, while two graduate students and one Yardling triumphed in the other three weight classes.

In a battle that nearly degenerated into a wrestling bout in the second round, Louis G. Harder '41 outpointed Drexel A. Sprecher 3L for the 175 pound title. At the other end of the weight range, 115 pounder Morton J. Holbrook 3L scored a technical K.O over Louis K. Ach '39 in 45 seconds of the first round.

Lorenze J. Taylor, 1B, former University of South Carolina glove pusher, pounded out a decision over Paul O. Chatfield '39 for the 125 pound crown. Edward Cochran '38 outslugged Edward P. Richardson '39 in the 135-pound finals.

Henry W. Kelley '40 who had previously scored a technical over Henry M. Robinson '41, jabbed his way to a decision over Francis E. Silva, Jr., '40 to win the 145-pound championship. Victor over John F. Meigs, Jr., '39 in the semi-finals, Christopher La Landry '38 was polished off by Norman Palonsky in the 155 pound final after 1:50 of the first round.

The final bout saw Roger C. Downs '40 edge Issac T. Burr, 3rd, '39 to become new 165 pound champion