STUDENT UNION HEARS DEBATE ON SALES TAX

Representative Herter Says Tax Bill Only Answer to Need for Revenues; Miller Hits Measure

Forecasting what will probably be one of the hardest fights in the legislature this season. Christian Herter, majority House leader gave the arguments for and Representative Charles Miller gave those against the Sales Tax Bill, last night in Phillips Brooks House before members of the Student Union

Representative Herter spoke first, and said that although he admitted that the sales tax as a tax was poor, that it was the only out for the Legislature in securing an increase in taxes to cover the overbearing relief rolls.

Basing his statement on the fact that the Massachusetts income tax is already nearly unbearable, and that increasing tax rates on real estate were driving industry out of the sate, he said that the proposed sales tax would only mean four cents a day from any man that received the salary of $25 a week. This is about half of the tax that goes into one package of cigarettes and would not be intolerable.

"The sales tax would mean a return to the prohibition era," said Representative Miller, "In tax evasions and increase of government agents to enforce the tax." He claimed that the sales tax would strike at the small home owners and would give the money to the large holders of real estate.