FIEDEL TRIO TO PLAY ANCIENT VIOLIN MUSIC

PLAY LITTLE-KNOWN TUNES ON FIRST AMERICAN TOUR

Reviving the musical atmosphere of medieval society, the Fiedal Trio from Munich will play troubadour and minnesinger pieces on violins fashioned according to the ancient Gothic "fiedels" at a free public concert in Paine Hall on Friday at 8:30 o'clock.

Founded in Munich by the American violinist, Beatrice Dohme, this ensemble is the only group which plays those archaic instruments. Although they have toured Europe for many years, this is their first visit to America.

Members of the Trio are Franz Siedersbeck, Erich Wilke, and Miss Dohme, originally from Baltimore, who has spent many years in Germany studying manuscripts and drawings of "fiedels" none of which had survived the middle ages.

Much of their music is litle known and comes directly from moldy manuscripts. Covering many centuries and many countries the repertoire of the Trio includes such composers as des Pres., Obrecht, Dufay, Dunstable, Orlando di Lasso and de Machaut.

Tickets for the Friday evening concert may be obtained free of charge at Paine Hall beginning Monday morning.

The Program for the Harvard Concert includes religious and secular music of the fifteenth century and instrumental music of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.