RICE GRADUATE GIVEN $2,000 DUPONT AWARD

MAY INVESTIGATE SEX HORMONES IN SARSAPARILLA

$2,000 of the Dupont funds for advanced study in Chemistry has been awarded to Edward M. Fry, of Fort Worth, Texas, for the next academic year, the University announced today. Fry graduated from Rice Institute in 1931 and is now a candidate for a doctor's degree at the University of Virginia.

Established here in 1936, the DuPont fellowship is one of the seven large scholarships recently alloted to various universities by the Dupont Company of Wilmington, Delaware to stimulate advanced research in chemical science.

No Restrictions on Program

To aid in the creation of efficient training centers for the development of young chemists, the fellowships are given without any restrictions and facilitate the carrying out of an unimpeded research program.

For the past three years the holder of the award has been Robert F. Jacobsen who has conducted in collaboration with Louis F. Fieser, professor of Chemistry, an investigation of precision combustion of organic compounds and a study of various problems in phenanthrene chemistry.

Distinct advances have been made on the problem of converting the active principle of sarsparilla root into sex hormones. Fry probably will be engaged in continuation of the same problem.