Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Moviegoer

AT THE STATE AND ORPHEUM

"Hurricane," which opened at the University yesterday for a stay one day longer than the usual run, is a picture that no one can afford to miss. It is a masterpiece of photography and direction. By the authors of "Mutiny on the Bounty," it deals with the South Sea Islands of bygone years when only Nature and the Catholic Church dared to interfere with the French Penal Code. The hero (Jon Hall) is cast as a native symbolic of all the natives, incredibly strong and brave, free as a bird and incapable of understanding restraint. His arrest, for striking a white, and his brutal captivity are climaxed by a superhuman escape, and on top of this comes "the wind that overturns the earth." To sit through it is an ordeal, fearful and thrilling.

C. Aubrey Smith is fine as the understanding priest, and Thomas Mitchell as the governor's counselor is equally good. Dorothy Lamour is adequate as Mr. Hall's pretty and passionate wife. John Ford directed. "Wise Girl," with Miriam Hopkins, is as good a companion picture as can be expected under the circumstances.