312 NEWSMEN COMPETE FOR 8 NIEMAN AWARDS

195 NEWSPAPERS REPRESENTED BY APPLICATIONS

Three hundred and twelve journalists, representing 195 newspapers from 44 states have applied for Nieman fellowships in journalism, it was announced yesterday. Funds for only eight or ten fellowships will be available next year since the interest on the bequest which was received last fall will not be large enough to support the proposed 12 or 15.

Economics was the field chosen for specialization by a majority of the applicants, numbering 98, closely followed by Government with 96. Next in order are History, with 43; English, 36; Sociology, 13; and Science and Music, with 5 each. The subjects of psychology, fine arts, law, drama, philosophy, philology, and business management were also on the applications.

Roosevelt to Blame

The baffling number and variety of governmental agencies which the depression and the Roosevelt administration have produced was given by most as the reason for their desire for a year of university work.

Almost without exception the newspapermen state a wish to take a course of study which will enable them to understand and interpret current developments in labor, government finance, New Deal legislation, and federal regulation of business and agriculture.

Ninety per cent attended college, but they invariably admit their inability to cope with the complexities of modern government and economics in their writing. Many of the candidates want to study the problems of propaganda and public opinion.