BLOW TO THE PEEVUM PERENNIUM

A perennial peeve is in bloom again. Spring vacations seem to be all around us and a glance at the calendar of the 1938-39 catalogue gives cause for suspicion that our next year's vacation will be just as late and just as short as ever.

"Why must we spend our vacation sitting and playing solitaire after everyone else has returned to college from Bermuda, Florida, and skiing trips?" That is the whisper that mounts to a roar as the end of March approaches. If it were not for the fact that those who would roar loudest have already left, it would be a mightier roar.

But the punch of an editorial is proof. Just how much later is our vacation than any other? That, however, is difficult to say, because four catalogues reveal vacations that last just as late as ours; Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, and Wellesley.

"Well, it should be made longer, anyway. An eight day vacation gives you only one day in Lima, Peru, if you should choose to fly to Lima, Peru, for the holidays. Just how much shorter is our vacation than any other? Yale has fifteen days. Vassar and Wellesley ten. Ours is no shorter than Princeton's or Bryn Mawr's.

We can't seem to prove why our vacation should be longer to earlier, but we can at least urge malcontents not to say "Why is our vacation so much shorter and later than any other?", but rather to confine their complaint to "Why is our vacation shorter than Yale's and later than Vassar's, Smith's, or Bryn Mawr's?"