Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

PRESS

POINTS OF VIEW

President Conant of Harvard thinks that perhaps one-half of those students now enrolled in advanced university work might well be swapped for young men who have more talent and perhaps less money. President Conant seeks more scholarships to bring to Harvard the most talented boys. This he does, not alone for the boys and the country, but for Harvard and all the students of Harvard.

In President Conant, Harvard and America have one of the most intelligent apostles of democracy. Thomas Jefferson democratically visioned an intellectual aristocracy selected for genius and virtue. Andrew Jackson said that all men were born equal. He envied intellectual pre-eminence and preached the doctrine of equal educational privilege for all. Dr. Conant says that many educators doubt the value even of high school for certain types of students. . . .

Dr. Conant speaks with a voice of recognized authority and with a farsightedness that marks him as a great American whose importance as a national leader of sane thinking is more and more impressing itself upon a people who, with their heads and hearts, agree with what he has to say and look forward to what he will say next. The Boston Herald-Traveler.

Dr. Conant, whose championship of democratic education is well known, calls the nation's attention to a serious problem.

He tells us that only 11 per cent of those between the ages of 18 and 21 attend institutions of higher learning.

He rightly suggests that the absence of money compels hundreds of brilliant students to abandon study while the possession of money enables numerous inferior students to decorate colleges and universities. . . .

Nobody doubts that the scholarship system should be encouraged throughout the country: Poverty ought not to fetter the exceptional mind.

But the big question is: WHO WILL PROVIDE THE SCHOLARSHIPS?

Confiscatory taxes on incomes and estates are claiming vast fortunes that would ordinarily be left for educational purposes. Today the Tax Collector comes first. The ambitious boy or girl takes a back seat.

There is only one remedy. It is: REPEAL THE TAXES THAT ARE DISCOURAGING PRIVATE ENTERPRISE AND DESTROYING THE OPPORTUNITIES YOUTH MUST HAVE.   The Boston Evening Americans.